Tuesday 2 November 2010

The Art and Science of Believable Facial Animation

I have just been to a great talk by Robert Sloan at the McManus Galleries. I decided to start having a look at different fields in art and I have always been interested in animation so this was very interesting.

The speaker talked about the 'uncanny valley', which I had never heard of. It is interesting that the more life like characters are the less viewers like them, and actually the less human they look. In a clip with James May he showed that life like robots are actually pretty horrific. Learning about this ruined 'The Polar Express' for me anyway, I hadn't noticed how creepy the characters actually are until this was pointed out. It was interesting to learn that viewers relate better to characters in 'Toy Story 3' to photographs of real people!

No comments:

Post a Comment