Friday 26 March 2010

Future Craft Lecture & Exhibition Opening

After our lecture about 'future craft' we were invited to the exhibition opening in the Matthew building. With out the lecture it would have been difficult to fully understand the pieces shown, and with out going to the exhibition it would have been difficult to understand the lecture!

There were three speakers: Tim Parry-Williams, Drummond Masterton and Hazel White.

The time and physical work put into Tim Parry-Williams' weaving is amazing, since the pieces are hand woven. When i think of weaving I think of the horrible, lumpy samples I made in semester one. I know how much time and effort I put into those so to see such perfect pieces of cloth amazes me.

Looking at the pictures of Drummond Mastertons work I assumed the pieces would be massive, however they were quite small and intricate. I was finding it difficult to understand what they actually were during the lecture, but seeing them in real life really surprised me, they are detailed, beautiful pieces of work.

Hazel White has given us a lecture before so I recognised the photographs of her work that she showed us. It was fantastic to see them in real life, to interact with them. I find her work quite inspiring and I think it shows what could be possible in the future.

I also enjoyed Frances Stevenson and Georgina Follett's work.

I love interactive art and I think it was a fantastic idea to allow the viewer to build an outfit on a mannequin using Francis Stevensons prints.

The exhibition opening was absolutely packed so I don't think I had enough time to look at the pieces properly. There was also quite a lot of writing so I think I will go back and take a longer look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment